Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

Here we are, and it's the Wednesday preceding Thanksgiving. My hopes are that each volunteer has a most enjoyable Thanksgiving day. We're here at the station all day today, so stop on by and say hello. I look forward to putting a face with each name on the volunteer list. There are still plenty of spots available for phone volunteers next week. Answering the pledge phones is a fun way to get to talk to some fellow supporters of local public radio! Good times!
I grew up in Houston, Texas, and it was a public radio station there that I first heard Arlo Guthrie's epic "Alice's Restaurant". It was played in its entirety on Thanksgiving day. Thus began the Martens family's yearly listening to "Alice's Restaurant." And what to my wondering ears should appear... tomorrow afternoon on KMXT, we're broadcasting In Search of a Song, and Arlo Guthrie is a guest. He's also riding a float in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade tomorrow. So for a song that mentions the Thanksgiving holiday in passing, Arlo Guthrie has become a Thanksgiving institution. I don't mind. My dad and brother went to see Arlo Guthrie & Family in Houston and said it was one of the best shows they've seen. Have a Happy Thanksgiving, and don't litter.

Matthew T

2 comments:

Lori S said...

It is so exciting to listen to KMXT on the web from sunny, but cold tonight, California! Congratulations Matthew T on your new gig as Volunteer Coordinator for the station, AWESOME! Thank you to Diana Gish for filling in as interim VC, you to are AWESOME! I miss you guys.

I am listening on-line when I can and I am enjoying Cece's Jazz show right now. I will be phoning in my pledge soon to show my support and get my chances at winning those Alaska Airline miles... Here is wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving and a fun and profitable fund drive. Lori S

Matthew T said...

Thanks, Lori. You are certainly missed! Here's hoping your Thanksgiving was fantastic. Got your pledge and got you entered in the "early bird" and the "big" drawing. Take care!